Monday, March 7, 2022

The Cost of War

What's going on in Ukraine is obviously a tragedy on so many levels.  But even many thousands of miles away, the affects are being felt.  Gas (petrol) prices reached a new all-time record high in our state today.  And I imagine that most Americans care a lot more about gas prices than some stupid war in the ass end of nowhere.  And while the gas prices have shot up, the stock market has shot down.  For example, my company's stock alone has lost nearly 20% since the start of the year.  This has had a disturbing impact to my retirement savings.  I normally wouldn't worry about this kind of thing - after all these are long-time investments that should ride out the ups and downs of the stock market.  But money is on my mind.  I just paid my outstanding taxes - which reached 5 figures, much more than I was expecting, so there went my bonus.  And I'm increasingly conscious of not being a property owner, and if I ever want to be then I need to work out what I can afford (which is, unfortunately, nothing round here).         

No comments:

Post a Comment