Sunday, March 27, 2022

North American Open

Sunday is the day I normally play my nephew at Mario Kart on the Switch.  For a long time I was the far superior player, but that no longer seems to be the case.  Am I getting older, or is my nephew just getting better?  I suspect a little bit of one, a little bit of the other.  But I had noticed that a tournament was being conducted this weekend on Mario Kart, the North American Open.  So later on today, I decided to join this tournament to really test my abilities.  What a humbling experience that was.  After entering the tournament code, you are basically entered into random races against random opponents from across North America.  In almost every race I competed in, I didn't come anywhere close to winning - and was frequently the last non-AI player.  I am clearly nowhere near good enough as I thought I was or used to be.  It really was very humiliating losing to all these probably 12 year old kids.  But it reaffirmed my belief that I am simply not good at video games, especially modern video games (which is why I haven't bought many PS5 games, even though there are several that have had rave reviews and that I really want).  It has been a long time since what I would consider to be my peak video game playing years.  Which would be on the Spectrum some 30+ years ago.      

No comments:

Post a Comment