Friday, March 11, 2022

Office Life

For the first time in 2022, I went into the office today.  And this will be the first of many Fridays I think I'll be going in.  It's quiet - there was literally nobody in my department in the office.  And the commute was very manageable.  But I did manage to catch up with a few fellow ping pong players - so I'm hoping I can start to play regularly again on Fridays (it's been 2 years since I last played, and I reckon I'm absolutely useless now - such is the narrow margin of error in how I play).  I will probably start coming into the office twice a week - I think the mixture of working from home and going into the office will be a good one.  Especially now that the indoor mask mandate is being lifted in our state - so no need to wear a mask in the office starting next week, thank god.  But the appeal of going into the office every day has definitely worn off.  I'm old-fashioned, so I don't like the fact that we no longer have a waste bin (for "environmental" reasons) nor a phone (if you call my work number, it now goes to Zoom) at our desks.  And there are no cheap sandwich options near the office anymore, which is unfortunate.  And during a lunchtime walk today, it dawned on me just how little I care for Seattle and the neighborhood where my office is located.  I think it's a very real possibility that I might become a remote worker one day - so I can move somewhere where I can actually afford to buy a house.            

No comments:

Post a Comment