Sunday, December 26, 2021

White Boxing Day

Well, I didn't get a white Christmas.  But boy, that wasn't the case on Boxing Day today.  Here is what I woke up to:

Once again the weather forecasts were well off.  What was only supposed to be a light dusting of snow, with about 50% probability of it actually snowing, turned out to be a lot more.  I reckon between what fell last night and throughout today, I've probably got about 6 inches of snow accumulation on the ground where I am.  So far.  Great for kids, no good for anybody else.  Unfortunately we are also experiencing extremely cold temperatures (it's about -5 Celsius right now), which was accurately forecast, and this is a recipe for disaster.  It's going to freeze up, especially tonight (-10 Celsius) and it's not getting above freezing until about Thursday.  Unfortunately, Thursday is also when another big round of snowfall is predicted.  I don't even know when to start shoveling snow from my driveway - which is going to be a nightmare when it's frozen instead of the light and fluffy stuff.  I don't think I'm going to be using my car anytime soon.  And I've had to spend most of the day bringing my hummingbird feeders inside to thaw out - the poor things couldn't access the food because of the snow and the sugar water freezing up.  And there certainly isn't anything else for them to feed on - so I'm doing what I can.  And by the noise they make, and landing on the feeder that I have in my hand whilst I'm replacing it, I think they appreciate it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment