Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Hope(less)

One of my aims for the next few weeks is to empty my DVR - with the eventual goal of cutting the cord.  I'm not sure whether this is achievable - I've got an awful lot of shows and films and documentaries to get through, and I don't want to spend all my time over the festive period on my couch.  But I have made a start - and I'm just in the process of finishing watching a documentary series on Obama.  And my main takeaway is that even back in 2008, I had forgotten just how terrible and how partisan white America is.  It is not a new phenomenon from the age of Trumpism - it existed well before Trump.  Trump was just the lucky beneficiary of the inevitable racist backlash to Obama's presidency.  And the total reluctance of the Republican Party to work with Obama is utterly identical to it's total reluctance to work with Biden.  It's really dispiriting to me that one of the main political parties doesn't act in the interest of America and Americans, then and now, but only in it's own interests - yet remains as popular as ever.  There is a certain irony that I, someone who has never voted in any election in either the US or the UK, and can't even vote in the US, am not averse to becoming more politically engaged.  That's definitely something I never thought I'd say.      

1 comment: