Thursday, December 16, 2021

Watching Football

It's interesting what you can glean from watching the English football games here.  It was a few weeks ago that I saw some really snowy games, when clearly some kind of winter storm was hitting the UK.  Then a few weeks ago, every game had a round of applause at the 6 minute mark.  I didn't know why, and when I looked it up it was kind of unsettling to read about the murder of that 6 year old (a news story I had absolutely no knowledge about).  And this week, we've started to see loads of games being postponed - due to a clear surge in COVID in the UK.  I can't say it's a surprise - I don't think the government will stoop to ruining people's Christmas for a second year in a row, but I can see more restrictions and a possible lockdown coming in January.  Coincidentally, there's also been a surge in COVID cases in professional sports here.  But the worrying thing is that this one is still due to the delta variant.  I think we still have a major spike coming here due to the omicron variant, and with the sheer number of unvaccinated people I think this one could be particularly devastating and overwhelming.  I don't think it's going to be a good winter here, or anywhere else for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment