Sunday, December 12, 2021

Formula 1

I don't care if the Formula 1 championship was decided in the last race, or even the last lap in the last race.  It still sucks.  As a sporting spectacle, Formula 1 is ridiculously overrated - lacking in action and excitement.  This year has only created a modicum of interest because of all the controversy, little of which has to do with actual driver skill.  I didn't watch any of today's race, but I caught the end of last week's race which was just bizarre - one driver running into the back of the other, having slowed to let them go past, and then having to slow down to let them pass again, twice.  Perhaps I'm looking through rose-colored glasses, but the sport seemed so much more thrilling and watchable in the past.  Perhaps it was the inherent danger in racing back then - in making the sport safer they have kind of ruined it.  Ironically, I think Formula 1 is more popular in the US now than it ever has been before.  And, sadly, it's almost entirely due to a popular Netflix behind-the-scenes documentary series.  Unbelievably, the US is actually hosting 2 races next year.  We've come a long way from that hilarious spectacle whenever it was (I just looked it up, it was 2005) when only 6 cars competed in the US Grand Prix.      

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, as well as America, you've encapsulated me perfectly.

    Wasn't remotely interested in F1 until I watched "Drive to Survive - which is frankly brilliant!!

    Now, I follow it.

    ReplyDelete