Sunday, January 17, 2021

Football

No, I'm not going to talk about American Football - even as I have a battle of 40-something year old quarterbacks on in the background right now.  No, I want to talk about "football".  How the dickens are Man Utd top?  They suck.  And take away Bruno Fernandes and they are thoroughly mediocre.  I caught some of the Liverpool-Man Utd game this morning, and it was a total snoozefest.  Really annoyed with NBC for not showing the game on one of their TV channels, instead deciding to show it exclusively on their streaming service - I assume in a pathetic attempt to try to improve their viewing numbers there - and it meant I couldn't record it to watch later.  Just for that, I'm glad the game was a total flop.  The Man City-Palace game was also only being shown on the streaming service - but didn't care about that, since it was kind of predictable that Palace were going to get thumped.  But in terms of who is going to win the league, it is pleasantly open and unpredictable.  I just cannot see Man Utd staying the course.  With Liverpool looking out of sorts as well, are Man City the favorites now?  Certainly based on current form they are, but they are also streaky and so I don't entirely trust them either.  Could Leicester do it again?  I'm going to say no, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.  Who else is up there?  Tottenham, Chelsea, Everton.  No.  No.  No.  If I was a betting man, I think I would go for Man City.  But a lot could change between now and the end of the season.  As for the teams going down - I don't think it is quite so competitive.  I would say the teams currently in the bottom 3 are probably going to stay there - Sheffield Utd, West Brom and Fulham.  Yeah, they all stink.  Newcastle are also in that mix as well.  So I guess that means that I think Palace will stay up?  Yes, I think I do.  Although they are not a good team, they are still better than most of the teams below them.  But without Zaha, as proven in today's game, then I will start to worry.             

1 comment:

  1. Fair assessment for both ends of the table.

    Can't find fault with much, except the concept that Newcastle are worse than us.

    We are woeful & just lucky we've got Guaita, Zaha & Cahill

    ReplyDelete