Friday, January 8, 2021

Bars and Restaurants

I was reading a local article that said about 100 Seattle bars and restaurants have closed so far due to the pandemic.  I'm sure there's a lot more across the entire Greater Seattle area, and I'm sure there's a lot more closures to come.  But this doesn't seem like a lot.  I was looking through the list of these places, and I really only recognized a handful of them and I don't think I actually ate anything from any of them.  Most of these places were small and obscure places - in neighborhoods that I've never been to and would probably never go to.  I've got to imagine that a lot of these places wouldn't have lasted long anyway, with or without a pandemic.  The few that I recognized were in the South Lake Union area, within a long lunch walking distance of my office - and no surprises that they closed because most of their business was from Amazon employees, who all work from home now.  I'm sure a lot of the places still open are struggling - though I hope those in residential neighborhoods can survive via takeout only.  I'm sure Seattle downtown is worst affected - I haven't been down there for over a year now, and I'm sure that area is getting a lot less foot traffic (my friend likened in to a ghost town populated only by the homeless wandering the streets like zombies, but I don't think it's as bad as that - it looked like it was fairly busy over the Christmas period).  But if I see any closures in Eastlake, even further limiting my lunch options if or when we return to the office, then that will be devastating.  I've already lost one go to sandwich place due to refurbishment, and losing another might ultimately influence my decision to permanently WFH.        

No comments:

Post a Comment