Sunday, August 23, 2020

WA State Parks: Day 5 of 5

A confession, I didn't actually go to another State Park today.  However, I went to a National Wildlife Refuge - which is close enough, the only difference is that it is federally-protected land rather than state-protected land so it counts.  The place is called Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge - and is SW of Seattle, close to Olympia.  I had been there before, but a long time ago - indeed the "Billy Frank Jr." wasn't part of the name when I last went there (he isn't anyone famous as far as I know - a Nisqually tribe member and activist apparently), and the trails were different because I would definitely have remembered the big-ass boardwalk that goes out into the estuary.  And it was good to go for a hike somewhere that wasn't forest or coastline.  A very flat approximately 4-mile out-and-back hike, I went there quite early because (1) I wanted to avoid the crowds (which I only partially succeeded with - even at 8.30am, there were lots of people there, but by the time I got back to the car around 10.30am the parking lot was full), (2) I wanted to get back home by lunch (and online for Mario Kart at our regular time!), and (3) because I wanted to time the visit for high tide when supposedly the birdlife is more prevalent and active.  This is a serious place for bird-watching, and the majority of people already there when I arrived were "twitchers" - you could tell who they were by the fact they were over-dressed and lugging around these ridiculously huge binoculars and loads of cameras and camera gear.  Glad I timed my visit for when I did because lots of young and loud families were showing up by the time I was leaving - undoubtedly ruining the atmosphere.  And yes, plenty of birds to be seen - lots of swallows, lots of herons, lots of waterfowl, and lots of birdsong even in just the land adjoining the estuary.  It's a nice place for an easy and pretty walk - and if there weren't so many people there (many of whom wore masks, which was quite disconcerting when I wasn't wearing one), then it would be very relaxing and I would take more time there to enjoy the wildlife.








2 comments:

  1. "and online for Mario Kart at our regular time!"

    And the nominations for most tragic blog post of the year are......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liking the scenery shots of your hikes though - makes one realise how very "white bread" mainland UK is nature-wise.


    Ever seen a rattler on your rambles ???

    ReplyDelete