Thursday, August 20, 2020

WA State Parks: Day 4 of 5

I've been on 2 hikes north of Seattle, and a hike east of Seattle so far this week.  Today, I went to Federation Forest State Park which is south of Seattle on the way to Mount Rainier.  Of course I'd much rather have been going to Mount Rainier today, but my national park pass has still not arrived yet (neither have any birthday cards, if this is any indication then I really worry about the uproar and controversy that is going to surround mail-in voting come election time).  I thought I'd been to this park before, but it didn't seem familiar.  And got to be honest, was a little bit disappointed with this one.  Mainly because a couple of trails were closed, which meant that I couldn't do the loop I wanted to do, and in another case meant some serious backtracking.  So I definitely got my miles in - it felt like a lot.  It was also somewhat surprising that you have this park next to a very picturesque river (the White River - you'll tell why it's called that from the photos) but very few actual viewpoints of it.  Ironically, the best views were from trails that I wouldn't have done if my planned route had been open.  Also got a bit depressed that you have this small slither of protected land, but passed so many logging and mining companies on the way there that you don't like to think about how much of this beautiful habitat has been destroyed.  I doubt I'll go to this park again, unless it's for a "restroom" stop on the way to or from Mount Rainier.     






1 comment:

  1. Don't worry about not receiving the card I haven't sent - lol.

    You get comments on here, your sister got a whatsapp message.

    I embrace lazy technology.

    ReplyDelete