Saturday, August 1, 2020

Universes

I haven't done any brief film reviews recently, so let's do a couple from films I've watched in the last few days that are from different cinematic universes - both of which have become overstretched and that I have lost a lot of love for.

The first is the Marvel cinema universe, and I watched Ant Man and the Wasp.  Of all the branches in this universe, Ant Man is probably the one that is most tongue-in-cheek - with a healthy dose of humor and not taking itself too seriously.  And for that reason, I quite enjoyed it.  Yes, the story is very lightweight, and as with a lot of the Marvel films the set pieces are distractingly over the top.  But generally I found the film very likable and very watchable.  3.5 stars.

The second is the Star Wars cinema universe, and I watched Solo.  I knew this one had a troubled production, so there was a level of curiosity as to whether it was any good.  As it turns out, it was a thoroughly average film.  Not a disaster, but with a sense that it could have been so much better.  For a Star Wars film, I surprisingly found the score really distracting in not a good way.  And I didn't like the ending.  But again, quite watchable if entirely unmemorable.  2.75 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment