Friday, August 7, 2020

Cable TV

 Once again, I feel a step closer to finally cutting the cable cord.  As the number of decent and/or new shows on cable continues to dwindle, it increasingly makes little sense for me to persist with it - I can easily fill the void with loads of streaming content, and maybe save a little bit of money (but if I do the math(s), not by much!).  I only need to look at the scheduled recordings on my DVR to tell me that we are already scraping the barrel:

- Aussie-Rules Football and Super Rugby - currently fulfilling my sporting fix (I've also replaced football with ice hockey as my favorite thing to have on in the background as I'm "working")

- Anything on HBO - I would subscribe to HBO if I cut the cord (so this also covers the high profile Sunday night HBO shows - I think the next big one coming up is Lovecraft Country)

- Oxford-based British TV (Inspector Morse, Endeavour) - my current British TV fix

- Dramas about to end their seasons (The Alienist, Perry Mason [recommended], Yellowstone)

- Hoarders - a compelling look at mental disorder and some truly disgusting homes (makes me feel better about my own!)

- Corporate - best comedy currently airing (though in its shortened and final season)

- Alone - the token survival show I like to watch

And that's pretty much it.  I've got several other shows and films saved on my DVR, so it's going to be interesting to see how long until I clear it all out - I give it a couple of months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment