Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Giving Back to Nature

With my battles against crows and moles, I feel I owe nature.  So I have obliged by getting a bird bath (complete with solar-powered fountain) and a hummingbird feeder.


Some important notes.  Firstly, although my bird bath looks great it is made of plastic and does not seem sturdy, and I feel like it could blow over in some big winds.  Also, a bad design fault means that it is not level - hence why I've had to stick a tile under half the base to try to balance it up a bit.  I've only got my frugality to blame, yet again.  I should have got a stone bird bath.   I think the solar-powered fountain is an excellent concept, it floats on the water and spurts out water when it is exposed to sun, however it also has some flaws.  For a start, unless the sun is directly overhead (with tree cover in my garden, and Pacific NW weather - this is not going to happen very often!) the fountain only intermittently spurts out water rather pathetically.  However, when the sun is out and it is going full belt then the water comes out so high that most of it doesn't actually stay in the bird bath.  I've already had to top the bird bath up loads of times.  I've actually had to take the top of the fountain off to make it more of a bubbler than a fountain.  And finally, the hummingbird feeder.  I didn't realize you had to change the nectar juice every other day in hot weather - so this involves a lot more maintenance than I expected.  Also, why it is absolutely impossible to buy a decent stand for the feeder?  I wanted something with a free-standing base that I could put on my patio - but all the stands available only have spikes that go into the ground.  And I was hoping the stand would be a bit higher, but again most of them are even lower off the ground than the one I've got.  So much trouble - I hope the effort is worth it and I actually see some birds using this stuff (encouragingly, I have already seen a hummingbird briefly on the feeder - I know they're around because even if I can't see them, I can occasionally hear their distinctive bird call).     

No comments:

Post a Comment