Saturday, April 25, 2020

Windy

With absolutely no warning, at least in the weather app I use, it was really windy today.  Like 40 mph gusts, knocking bits of tree off windy.  Strong enough to bring down whole branches windy.  But did we get any sort of weather advisory or warning?  Did we heck.  And how do I know it was strong enough to bring down branches?  Because about 2.15 this afternoon I heard the loud break of something large coming off a tree nearby, quickly followed by a loud pop as a transformer went - and sure enough, my power promptly went out.  Yep, a large branch or something brought down the power lines somewhere on the road at the bottom of my driveway.  This was the catalyst for a number of other things to go wrong.  Firstly as I was looking at the power lines, I made conversation with a neighbor I'd never seen before who had also lost power.  And tried to shake his hand, totally forgetting about the whole social distancing thing.  Serious faux pas.  But at least I was kind of forced to go out for a walk this afternoon.  But then I made the mistake of incorporating trying to find a geocache in the walk I chose to do.  Something I haven't done for a very long time.  And it showed.  Spent half an hour unsuccessfully trying to find this bleeding geocache - that in my geocaching app was supposedly an "easy" one.  I'm clearly out of practice, and it was so demoralizing that I'm not sure if I'll try again any time soon.  Especially not this one, which just to rub it in was on a very muddy trail.  But at least when I got back around 6 pm, I saw all the utility trucks and repair people doing their thing and power was restored not long after (fortunately, because some of their trucks were parked in my driveway, blocking me in just when I was considering going out to get some takeaway food).  So that was my "exciting" afternoon.           

No comments:

Post a Comment