Monday, April 27, 2020

Skype and Zoom

I've so far avoided having to use video in any of my work meetings.  But this is going to change this week - apparently some directive from management has come down that says managers have to encourage their reports to use video in online team meetings in order to feel more connected, or some such malarkey.  I taped over the webcam on my work laptop some time ago, so it seems I'm going to have to take that off now.  However, I'm not having any of my colleagues judge me based on what they can see in the background of my video (it's bad enough that I now feel obligated to shave the morning of the meeting!).  So I've just downloaded a virtual background to use in the video.  It was a difficult choice, but I've plumped for the bridge of the Enterprise.  I suspect most of my mainly Chinese colleagues will not recognize it.  None of them have said anything about the image I now use in Skype, which is what we use to exchange messages at work - a shot of Kevin McCallister.  Yes, I'm "home alone" etc etc.  So far, only one person has commented on this.  And he is Caucasian.  Disappointing.       

1 comment:

  1. The Enterprise !?!

    Trés unimpressive & tragic.

    Bet you weren't brave enough to have the original "Shatner" bridge,. bet it was TNG !!!

    ReplyDelete