Monday, December 23, 2019

Differences Between the US and the UK: #8

#8: Television

OK, American TV has its flaws - I'm thinking of the number of adverts (especially for pharmaceutical products), and how all the swearing and sex has to be taken out of films (though gratuitous and graphic violence is totally okay).  But British TV, oh my.  It really stinks, and seems to have got worse.  I made the mistake of catching some Saturday evening telly - reality, light entertainment and quiz shows.  Absolutely awful stuff.  Add in soaps, the news and these dreadful antique-hunting shows - and that is 90% of the BBC schedule right there.  What may be popular is definitely not better.  Yes, you still get the occasional flashy costume drama, police drama or comedy that is worth your time, but these are increasingly rare.  I haven't made any effort to look at the listings over the festive period.  And to be honest, even some of the "funny" shows I haven't found particularly funny - there is a certain "Radio 4" type of comedy that I don't like in my podcasts, that I apparently also don't like in my TV shows.  I'll stick to the classic BBC Christmas specials thank you - even if some of them have aged really badly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment