Sunday, December 22, 2019

Differences Between the US and the UK: #7

#7 Pantomimes

For the first time in probably about 35 years, I went to see a panto this week.


I'm glad I went, because it's a quintessential British experience - the fairy tale and song and dance for the kids, the cheeky jokes and innuendo for the adults.  I don't think Americans would get it, at all.  They would definitely not classify all of it as "family entertainment", particularly with significant drag and some quite ribald jokes.  At least this one featured a little bit above the real bottom of the barrel minor celebrities you normally get - including a CBE doing her first panto.  An interesting little tidbit I've just come across is that apparently the good fairy always enters from the left, and the villain from the right - so pay attention to that next time.  Now I need to balance this out with a quintessential American experience next year - I think it might be time to finally go to a rodeo (rather that than Monster Jam). 

No comments:

Post a Comment