Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Malice at the Palace

Today is the 15 year anniversary of the “The Malice at the Palace”.  I was living in the US when this happened, and I remember it quite vividly – I don’t imagine I was watching the game live because I was no fan of basketball then, but I must have seen the “highlights” afterwards on ESPN or whatever.  And I’ve definitely seen several documentaries about it since.  It was crazy.  But I don’t imagine that many people from the UK have even heard of it – so I definitely recommend doing an internet search and checking the video out.  It is the American equivalent of when Eric Cantona kung fu-kicked that Palace fan.  Shocking, but iconic.

Talking about brawls, I see that the first UK election debate occurred today.  I bet that was scintillating stuff.  I read a BBC article which included the insightful conclusion that left "most Labour voters thinking Jeremy Corbyn won, most Conservative voters thinking Boris Johnson won".  Well done - great journalism.  I do think it is an absolute disgrace that other parties were not included in the debate – why should the British public have to choose between these 2 fools.

2 comments:

  1. Never heard of this until your blog post.

    Had a watch - it's way more entertaining (& much worse) than the Cantona incident (which was very much mano y mano)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although the most entertaining part of the Cantona incident was that Matthew Simmons - the Palace scrote involved - actually had the temerity to swaer in court that he ran down the steps to the pitch shouting "It's an early bath for you my man".

    My lipreading skills may not be up to much, but.........

    ReplyDelete