Thursday, January 17, 2019

Promotion

It’s official, the e-mail got sent out today with the list of promotions in our group – which included me.  So my job title is now Senior Manager, Statistical Programming.  Whatever that means.  And got quite a few e-mails of congratulations from various people, which was nice.  Ironically one of them was from my previous manager, who I heard tried to jeopardize my promotion.  Talk about two-faced.  Quite a few people in my group in the Seattle office got promotions – so a good day here.  Though how deserved all of them were is questionable.  The Chinese girl in the cube next to me also got the same promotion as me – even though she has nothing like the same experience or competency as I do.  But she happened to work on something higher profile than anything I’ve been working on, and I suspect was also the benefit of some Chinese favoritism, so my relief at finally getting a long overdue promotion is still tempered by some major skepticism at the entire process and the office politics.  Coincidentally, I’ve been invited to participate in an Employee Survey focus group here, with the aim of trying to address some issues in collaboration, impact and inclusion that came up from our employee survey.  I didn’t volunteer, so not entirely happy about being roped into doing this – I haven’t decided how much I’ll share about the lack of opportunities and promotion I’ve experienced when you work in a group where I am in the strong minority and most work collaboration is not even conducted in English…  Jeez, I even manage to turn the positive news of a promotion into a negative, and borderline racist, commentary.  Sorry about that. 

2 comments: