Monday, January 14, 2019

Fort Ebey State Park

I was a naughty boy today - it was a nice day, so I took a sickie and went for a hike.  I'll probably regret this for the rest of the week as I have a lot of work to do.  Whatever - I'm not wasting an unseasonably sunny day.  Wanted to go somewhere I hadn't been before, so went to Fort Ebey State Park on Whidbey Island - so called because it was the site of some Second World War coastal defenses.  The guidebook said it was an easy 3 mile hike.  Lies on both counts - it wasn't an easy hike, lots of elevation change and quite tiring, and it felt like a lot more than 3 miles, I should have tracked the distance on my phone.  Glad I went today though - hardly anybody there, maybe encountered 3 people on the entire hike.  Most of the trail was through forest - weirdly heard and saw a load of woodpeckers - but the main reason was to get to the part of the trail that's on the edge of the bluff with great views over the water and where you encounter the remnants of the coastal defenses.  I need to spend a weekend on Whidbey Island - lots of nice coastal hikes to be had here.








No comments:

Post a Comment