Friday, April 20, 2018

Car Insurance

Auto insurance in the US is a total rip off.  America being the litigious society it is, insurance is extensive and expensive.  My insurance is due for renewal this weekend, and I’ve been with the same company for quite a number of years.  But the quote they gave me to renew the policy seemed extremely high.  Yes, I was in an accident last year but it wasn’t my fault – and I’ve got a new car now with many more safety features, meaning the chance of another accident is diminished, and it’s not like I have to leave my car overnight on the street or anything so it’s not at risk of being broken into.  So despite having very good dealings with my current company when my car was hit last year, that doesn’t justify such a high cost of renewal so I decided to ship around to get some more quotes.  Thank god I did.  I got quotes – from the other major insurance companies no less, so nothing dodgy – that were substantially cheaper but with the same coverage, saving me nearly $50 a month.  I was stunned – how long have my current insurance company been ripping me off?  So much for all the years of loyalty.  So I’m changing insurance providers this weekend.  Hopefully I won’t have any need to use them for the next 6 months, when it comes time to renew again (though some of the awful driving I saw on the commute into work this morning makes me worry and despair).  But this is probably something I should have done years ago.  If you know your American adverts (which readers of this blog probably don’t!), then it’s goodbye Gecko and hello Flo.   

No comments:

Post a Comment