Saturday, March 18, 2017

Taxes

One of the worst things about living in the US is having to do your taxes.  An amazingly complicated, convoluted and confusing process.  My taxes should be simple, but invariably they aren't - as I go through all my paperwork (you get something from every possible source of income - so something from my employer plus something from every account I might get some interest/dividend/payment from) and try to make sense of what I need to input and where.  I use a cheap online tax program to submit my taxes - but if my finances ever get more complicated, then I'd have to employ an accountant.  I'm not making big money, but if I was then there are all kinds of tax loopholes to exploit.  No wonder a certain president doesn't want to release his tax returns - he has probably paid less tax than I have over the last 10 years...  After a few years of refunds, it looks like I'm going to owe the government quite a lot of money this time (about $3000), which is very dispiriting.  At least living in Washington State we don't have any state income tax - so that's one less hassle to deal with (but also why our sales tax is so high!).

No comments:

Post a Comment