Thursday, March 16, 2017

March Madness

It's that time of the year - March Madness!  This probably doesn't mean anything to anyone outside of the US, but today the inexplicably popular NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament started.  That means loads of college basketball games on over the next few weeks - between colleges that I couldn't even get close to guessing where they lie geographically in the US.  Even though my knowledge of college basketball is nonexistent at best, I still completed a bracket (although the 2nd game of the day bust it!).  Since teams are seeded, there is some skill to completing the bracket - generally pick higher over lower seeds, and then try to identify the "bracket busters" or "Cinderella stories" that involve some little heralded high-seeded team going a long way, maybe even into the "Final Four".  Imagine trying to predict every single game at Wimbledon - that is the best comparison I can make.  It's difficult to show just how popular this tournament is to the outsider - Obama used to complete a bracket every year when he was President (naturally, Trump has not).  My overall pick is Duke - but I wouldn't read much into that, because as I write this I lie a lofty joint 7.7 millionth position in the ESPN tournament challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment