Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Rights

My company has recently set up a women’s “Employee Resource Group”, with the aim of “contributing to the successful recruitment, development, support, and retention of female employees”.  Naturally, the first thought that crossed my mind was both sexist and racist – why isn’t there an equivalent white men group?  But no, I am just jesting – I should consider myself fortunate to be a beneficiary of white male privilege.  Clearly, something has been said (and heard) by upper management at our company about inclusion and diversity because they have recently set up an LGBT Alliance group at work as well.  Interesting timing for these activities.  It is all rather contradictory, and perhaps in response to, the president and his cronies’ particularly conservative beliefs (with the Vice President’s perhaps the worst).  I feel strongly that women’s rights are under threat by our current presidency – specifically, I am very pro-choice and I fear that important right will be targeted (which it has already in states like Texas).

No comments:

Post a Comment