Sunday, March 5, 2017

NASCAR

One of my guilty pleasures is watching NASCAR.  I've always quite liked motor sports - I have hazy memories of going to see races with my grandpa, my cousin and my French exchange student - but Formula One is just absolutely unwatchable nowadays, so I get my racing kicks from watching American stock car racing.  At least I used to, no more.  In a desperate attempt to revive flagging ratings, they've entirely changed the format so that each race is split up into stages.  It's just ridiculous, and pointless, and needlessly breaks up the race.  So I'm not going to watch any more.  I don't mind, because I was getting increasingly embarrassed at being a NASCAR fan.  The typical fan is white, redneck, and a Trump supporter - NASCAR races were the only ever time I saw pro-Trump ads prior to the election.  Whereas before when they cut to a shot of the crowd you used to see confederate flags, now when they cut to the crowd you are guaranteed to see at least one Make America Great Again baseball cap.  No more, and one less excuse to stay in on a Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment