Thursday, March 30, 2017

Angry Birds

For about the 3rd or 4th time this year, I’ve been looking out of my cube window at work and seen an eagle that has been soaring around get attacked by a “murder” of crows.  It is quite something to see.  It starts with an eagle circling majestically around hunting for prey - undoubtedly a beautiful sight.  Then emerging from the trees appear about 5 or 6 black dots – presumably crows – who head directly towards the eagle.  Then, whilst circling the eagle, each crow takes a turn to dive bomb the eagle.  It is effective – the eagle is forced to fly away, and the crows can return to their nests and presumably the eggs/chicks that they are defending.  This behavior from crows doesn’t surprise me – I’ve been attacked before by crows dive bombing me when I walked too close to one of their nests and ignored their increasingly incessant cawing.  There have also been evenings where hundreds of them have gathered together near where I live to roost.  It may be noisy as hell, and not quite as spectacular as those millions of starlings on Planet Earth II, but nonetheless good to see that urban sprawl hasn’t changed all of nature’s habits.  Nonetheless, crows remain my 2nd least favorite of all the birds (Canadian Geese are worse).    

No comments:

Post a Comment