Saturday, September 28, 2024

TV Dry Spell

We currently seem to be in bit of a dry spell when it comes to good TV.  A couple of new shows have aired, and they range from the "meh" (Brilliant Minds, Murder in a Small Town, High Potential) to the risibly mediocre (Doctor Odyssey might be the worse show I've seen in years).  Nothing I can recommend.  Even the Sunday evening lineup of British shows on PBS is extremely underwhelming: Ridley (my god, could someone please stop Adrian Dunbar from singing), Moonflower Murders and Van der Valk (a show that would be immeasurably improved if it didn't feature English-speaking actors playing Dutch characters).  Let's see what else I am recording: The Penguin (only seen one episode so far, and I would consider it good rather than great), English Teacher (a genuinely quite funny teacher comedy), American Sports Story: Aaron Hernandez (maybe better as a 30 for 30 type documentary rather than a drama), Big Cats 24/7 (token nature documentary), The Old Man (surprisingly disappointing given the quality cast) and Social Studies (a documentary series on the scary influence of social media on teenagers - making me glad that (a) I don't do social media and (b) that I don't have to raise a child dealing with social media). 

No comments:

Post a Comment