Friday, September 20, 2024

Processing Grief

Dealing with the news today of my dad's passing.  Even though we knew it was coming, it still doesn't make you feel any less sad.  I feel bad that I couldn't be there in person to say goodbye.  But glad that my mum and sister were there when he died.  I want to fly back as soon as I can to provide support, but I didn't realize how long it might be until the funeral (maybe as long as 6 weeks?!).  I guess I won't book a flight yet until I know more information.  I checked the company policy and I believe I get 5 days bereavement leave, but I think I will take off more days than that - not just for practical reasons, but also to process the grief and to be there for my mum if she needs me.  The news has already unexpectedly hit me emotionally a few times this afternoon/evening, and it probably didn't help that I was also under a hell of a lot of stress from a work deliverable due today (plus, of course, the stress from the news on my job security as previously discussed).  I'm sure I'll have more to say as I go through the grieving process.  

1 comment:

  1. Dear Chris
    So sorry to of the death of your dad and my brother. I have spoken to Gill and we agree that although your dad’s quality of life was poor, it is still a shock when these things happen and you lose someone close.

    You, Gill, Louise and all the family are in my constant thoughts.

    God Bless
    Anne


    ReplyDelete