Thursday, November 9, 2023

Masters of the Air

I just found out today that there is a follow-up to Band of Brothers and The Pacific, called Masters of the Air, and that it's coming out in January.  That's great news, because both Band of Brothers and The Pacific were excellent - and I am a sucker for a quality war miniseries.  But then watching the trailer for Masters of the Air, I was struck by two major concerns.  Firstly, this looks to be another horribly American-centric view of the war.  This was also something of an issue with Band of Brothers, and I think is always going to be a problem when following an American unit in World War II Europe.  So I can probably live with it as long as the show remains historically accurate.  But the bigger concern - why the heck is this being shown on Apple TV+ and not HBO?  I don't subscribe to Apple TV, so am I going to have to subscribe just to watch this?  That's an expensive hassle.  Band of Brothers and the The Pacific were both on HBO, and I subscribe to HBO, so it's really disappointing that this isn't either.  If HBO showed it on Sunday evenings, I almost guarantee it would be a massive hit like loads of other successful HBO shows.  Apple TV's only successful show is Ted Lasso, which is almost the polar opposite to Masters of the Air, so that makes me nervous.        

No comments:

Post a Comment