Thursday, November 2, 2023

COVID Booster

I got my COVID booster shot today.  One of the very few people in the US to do so.  Despite the CDC recommending that everyone gets one, I read somewhere that only about 7% of Americans have gotten one so far.  And I suspect most Americans won't bother with getting the booster at all.  This doesn't surprise me.  For a start, it's a pain in the ass to get one - there are no mass vaccination sites any more, instead you typically have to go to a pharmacy.  And availability is extremely limited.  It's supposed to be free, but apparently a lot of places have been refusing medical insurance and making people pay out of pocket.  At least that's what happened to one of my colleagues.  Which is why I'm glad I went to a small family-owned pharmacy nearby, where I didn't have any issues and didn't pay anything.  An interesting pharmacy - I'd never been there before, and it doubles as a gift shop and had loads of potential Christmas gift ideas.  I will probably return.  But if they want to administer COVID shots in the same way that they administer flu shots, then a lot needs to change.  For example, I was able to get a flu shot at work - but I don't know why they didn't offer a COVID shot at the same time.  And there's also been very little advertising or promotion for getting the booster - which seems like something the US government has dropped the ball on.  I bet that will change when COVID hospitalizations and deaths start ticking up again.    

No comments:

Post a Comment