Monday, November 27, 2023

Disabled

As part of my company's recent emphasis on accessibility, inclusion and diversity (i.e. woke culture) we were asked to update our personal information as it relates to disabilities.  At least that's what they told us, but a quick look at the form suggests that the real reason for updating the information is because the law requires companies to provide equal employment opportunities to qualified people with disabilities.  They've even attached a goal to this - of having at least 7% of workers as people with disabilities.  OK, can't say I agree with attaching a specific number to this but whatever.  I've never considered myself as disabled, so it shouldn't take long to provide the information.  And the form states a disability is "a condition that substantially limits one or more of your 'major life activities'".  OK, that doesn't sound like it applies to me.  But then they list some examples of disabilities, and one of them stands out like a sore thumb.  Diabetes.  Yes, diabetes is listed as a disability.  I have diabetes.  Therefore, am I disabled?  That's not something that has ever crossed my mind before.  Is this just a way to fudge the numbers, so that our company can say it employs more disabled workers than it really does?  Or is this real?  Can I get disability benefits?  Can I get a disabled parking placard so I can park in handicap parking spots?  A quick internet search reveals that diabetes is indeed considered a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act.  And, under certain conditions which I don't currently satisfy, I could be eligible for disability benefits.  But sadly I won't satisfy any of the qualifying conditions for disabled parking, at least based on diabetes symptoms alone.        

No comments:

Post a Comment