Wednesday, November 1, 2023

A Simple Fix

I have an outdoor light next to my driveway that I like to leave on overnight, for security reasons as much as the aesthetics.  The problem is that this light is controlled by an indoor light switch.  So every dusk I have to turn the switch on.  And every dawn I have to turn the switch off.  It's a pain, and can be problematic.  Sometimes I forget to turn the light off, so it stays on all day.  Other times I might get home late to a dark driveway.  And when I go on vacation, the light will stay on 24/7 for weeks.  Because of this, I seem to go through an abnormally high number of bulbs.  So, I need to find a solution.  Could I fit some kind of timer switch?  Nope, at least not without my landlord's help - I don't trust my lack of electrical DIY skills.  Something else I considered was a switch button pusher.  This works by being attached to one end of the switch, and you can set it to push and pull the switch on and off when you want.  However, you need a rocker switch for this to work and I don't have that (I have a toggle switch).  So how have I solved the problem?  Quite simple, I've bought some light bulbs that have light sensors.  So I can keep the switch on, and the bulb will turn on and off automatically.  Genius, and I don't know why it took me so long to get this.  I was worried it might not work through the shaded glass of the light fixture, but it works a treat.  Nice.           

No comments:

Post a Comment