Saturday, January 15, 2022

Tsunami

In all the years I've lived on the West Coast of America I don't recall ever getting a tsunami warning before.  And that's what we had today.  All because of an underwater volcanic eruption in Tonga.  What a strange small world we live in.  I mean I didn't get the warning because I don't live next to the coast, but Edmonds - which is a short drive away and where I get the ferry to the Olympic peninsula, closed all it's beaches and piers today.  When you drive to the Pacific coast, you see these road signs telling you where to evacuate in the event of a tsunami - so it's nice to know these signs might not be totally useless.  Though I think the only real consequence of the eruption was a slightly higher tide than normal - no flooding or massive destruction, at least here.  In many ways today would have been a good day to go to the coast and get to see some huge and dramatic waves.  I assume the ferries were still running, so now I kind of regret not going.      

No comments:

Post a Comment