Saturday, January 29, 2022

Adage

I think everyone knows the old adage "Red sky at night, shepherds' delight; red sky in the morning, shepherds' warning".  Well imagine my surprise when I came across an alternative to this in an American article that read "Red sky at night, sailors' delight; red sky in the morning, sailors' warning".  I've not heard this variation before - is this another Americanism?   And some quick online research doesn't really tell me which version is correct.  An article on the Met Office website talks about shepherd first appearing in the bible, and that sailor is a "global variation".  But Wikipedia states it originates from an ancient rhyme often repeated by mariners, and that shepherd is the variation.  Does it matter which is correct?  They both mean the same thing.  Though I'm sure the "British" version is probably the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment