Sunday, January 30, 2022

Local News

It's become increasingly difficult to get extensive and unbiased local news coverage.  And we are talking about across different media.  Seattle Times is the big local paper - but I don't get it delivered and frustratingly their website, which is a good resource, has become subscription based.  The 4 main TV channels (ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox) each broadcast local news from different providers.  One of them is owned by Sinclair - and I'm not prepared to watch anything run by that notoriously right-wing broadcaster.  I used to watch Q13 quite a lot - which despite being affiliated with Fox was actually independent of it.  Until recently, when it got officially acquired by Fox - so I'm no longer watching that either.  Both Sinclair and Fox have an inclination to reduce actual meaningful local coverage in place of national right-wing coverage - and in many instances are actually forced by their parent company to air certain opinion pieces.  And that leaves 2 other TV stations with local news - neither of which are particularly good and neither of which I have any particular inclination to watch.  So it appears that my local news intake is going the same way as my national news intake.  Significantly reduced.     

No comments:

Post a Comment