Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Melt Out

As the temperatures continue to remain above freezing, and the lingering snow is slowly disappearing, a few more observations:

  • Before the snow totally disappeared, I came across these animal tracks on my back patio.  These look distinctly raccoon like.  I'm extremely disappointed that my trail camera didn't seem to catch them though - I think the camera lens fogged up with the temperature change from very cold back to normal, which seems like a bit of a design fault.

  • What I've noticed as the snow has gradually melted off is that my yard is covered with new molehills.  I mean loads - they are all over the place, on all sides of my house.  I'm guessing that the critters couldn't dig through the hardened ground when we had the really cold temperatures, but now the temperatures are above freezing then they're more than making up for it.  I fear it could be a long battle with them this year.
  • Although my driveway is clear, and most of the surface roads (at least the ones I need to use) are clear, my landlord's driveway - particularly down by the mailboxes - is not.  Which makes going to pick up mail a bit of an adventure.  What I think has happened is that water runoff from my landlord's neighbor is now draining right across the driveway towards where the mailboxes are.  Unfortunately with this cold snap, all this water froze and has left a slushy and extremely slippery mess - especially after they've been driving across it to really harden the ice.  I remember my landlord telling me that this neighbor has had flooding issues, and they had been working on it a lot over summer.  Unfortunately, it seems that all they managed to do was to redirect the water so now it's affecting all of us rather than just them.  Great.

No comments:

Post a Comment