Friday, January 21, 2022

COVID Testing Kits

It looks like we are finally going to be able to get some free at-home COVID testing kits.  And the distribution of these kits is about as disjointed and confusing as you'd expect from the US government.  It seems you can get some at both the national level and the state level.  I managed to order some from the official government site - though lord knows when I might actually receive them (probably well after the peak of Omicron).  And I think I only managed to get some because I ordered them the day before the website officially launched!  However no such luck on the dedicated Washington state website, whose "limited supply" had already been snapped up by the time I checked.  And what do I get from the government?  All of 4 tests.  This is shocking when you compare it to the free, regular, convenient testing available to you in the UK.  The US has really dropped the ball when it comes to testing.  I imagine I might be able to get more testing kits via my health insurance plan, but I don't imagine that process is straightforward.  Naturally, you can also get some if you're prepared to pay for them.  Apparently the US government is also going to distribute a load of better quality face masks this week or next week as well.  But again, none of the details about how to actually get them are particularly forthcoming and I don't imagine they will be easy to obtain.  Though I'm not sure if getting all of 3 masks is going to make much of a difference.         

No comments:

Post a Comment