Saturday, May 8, 2021

Nectar

I did a little experiment with my hummingbird feeder today.  I changed the level of dilution in the sugar water that I put into the feeder, and made it stronger.  The result - I saw more action today at my feeder than I have for the entire last few weeks.  Admittedly, I was probably paying more attention to it than I have before, so maybe it didn't really make much difference.  I'm trying to work out how many actual birds are using the feeder.  Hummingbirds are extremely territorial, so I'd be surprised if you'd see more than one.  I think there were actually 2 today, because later on I saw them fighting above the feeder - a brief but violent clash, with the victor claiming the feeder as their territory.  No sharing here - nature can be cruel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment