Monday, May 24, 2021

Hummingbird Update

I reckon I could post daily entries solely about the hummingbirds, there is a lot of action going on out there.  In fact so much so that I think I'm going to get a second feeder.  The 2 hummingbirds that I had seen before and who I hoped would be a breeding pair are definitely not a breeding pair - at least judging by the female chasing off the male when they arrive at the feeder at the same time.  And over the weekend, I saw a lot more than just the 2 hummingbirds in the vicinity.  At one point, there were 6 hummingbirds all trying to get to the feeder, chasing and fighting each other all over the place and making a surprising amount of noise for such small little things.  Although their markings were different, they were similar enough for me to think that they are all the same species.  And I think there is a dominant female now, who is prone to either being on the feeder or chirping away in the tree by the feeder, and if another bird shows up then they immediately go after them.  But this female is a little shy around me, so when I'm nearby then the male will tend to sneak in and get it's fill.  They are getting through an amazing amount of sugar water - I normally change it every 2 weeks or so, and there's always some still left in the feeder.  I filled it up on Friday and by Sunday the feeder was empty.  The greedy so and so's.      

No comments:

Post a Comment