Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Dispiriting

I still hold a lot of grudges from when I quit my job at this company the first time.  And it is especially dispiriting to see what has happened to some of the key players from that time.  A reminder - I asked for a leave of absence, which was initially granted to me and then was rescinded, so I quit.  My manager at the time - the person who I think was primarily responsible for the rescindment - is now head of the department.  The person who took over my role - and who I subsequently found out requested and was granted a leave of absence of their own - just got promoted to Director.  Other colleagues who were at or below my level are now at or above my level (including my current manager).  I was clearly the big loser - and a lot of other people capitalized off it.  And I haven't even mentioned the financial impact of quitting rather than taking a leave of absence - a not insignificant amount.  I'm not going to lie, it makes me feel bitter and angry.  Which isn't fair.  After all, I made the decision to quit and to come back to work again for this company.  I don't regret quitting - I was desperately unhappy with the job at the time.  And I don't regret rejoining - for the most part, it has worked out well.  My regret is thinking what could have been if I had been allowed a leave of absence rather than quit.  But hey, I have many regrets in my life - I wish I wouldn't dwell on so many of them, but I can't help myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment