Monday, May 4, 2020

Stupidity

I just don’t understand Americans.  I see these photos of massive amounts of people protesting against stay-at-home orders, massive amounts of people going to beaches as soon as they reopened, and a load more examples of socially irresponsible behavior.  And absolutely no evidence of social distancing.  I even saw a video of a park ranger getting pushed into a lake when he tried to enforce some social distancing.  It really is sickening.  And all of this practically encouraged by an administration that is making decisions that have and will cost thousands more lives, and that apparently will not engage in global efforts to try to fight the pandemic.  And yet Trump is still probably the favorite to win re-election.  You just need to see the influence of right-wing media with the many headlines and stories over the weekend pertaining to Biden’s alleged sexual assault, and the stunning amount of hypocrisy associated with this.  I think the vast amount of Americans are decent, considerate, rational people – but unfortunately the small sliver that is not seem to have a vastly disproportionate influence – even at the highest level of media and government.  I really truly despair at times – and it does make me question whether I really want to live somewhere like this.  I think I do, and I think I want to do something to fight these lies and misinformation.  And that starts with Trump and his administration.  This has to change.  On top of everything else he has done, the handling of this pandemic has been nothing less than a disgrace – so it is incomprehensible to me that he still retains some degree of popularity.  It’s insane.  And it’s morally wrong to just accept it.  America deserves better.  I’ve never engaged in anything political outside of sharing my opinion with anyone who might listen, but I am increasingly tempted to do more.  Like vote.  And that starts with getting American citizenship.  It’s not exactly a good time to apply for it – but definitely something I would like to do sooner rather than later, particularly as my green card renewal date looms.  Let’s see.

No comments:

Post a Comment