Sunday, May 17, 2020

Sports Update

I just couldn't bring myself to watching any Bundesliga games this weekend.  Yes, I miss football (soccer), but is this the true Englishman in me showing itself and refusing to watch German football?  I don't know, maybe there is still some historical xenophobia in my DNA.  But 2 teams I don't care about playing in an empty stadium just seems too weird and too unappealing to me.  As opposed to say motor-racing, which was on today for the first time in about 10 weeks, and was perfectly watchable despite the lack of fans there - and I think that is because the sound of the sport is the cars themselves rather than the spectators, so their lack of presence doesn't matter.  Another weird one is martial arts - I've watched some UFC the last few weekends, despite absolutely loathing the Trump-loving president of UFC, and the lack of fans has made the sport even more brutal because you can really hear the punches and kicks landing, the heavy breathing of the fighters and the cries of pain when they are submitted.  What else is there?  Even I'm not prepared to watch Korean baseball - something else they've started airing here with the MLB season postponed indefinitely.  I think you have to be really desperate to watch that.  And about the only other thing is the Michael Jordan documentary, which is wrapping up with it's final 2 episodes tonight.  My overriding conclusion - Micheal Jordan may have been a great athlete, perhaps the greatest of all time, but he might also have been one of the biggest assholes ever as well.       

No comments:

Post a Comment