Thursday, August 9, 2018

The Good Life

I've just finished spending some time with my sister and her family, including my young nephew and niece.  I've got to be careful what I write, because I don't want the offer to stay again in the future to be rescinded!  But really, there are no worries about that because I only have good things to say.  They have a big and beautiful home, and are clearly doing a great job in raising their children.  I love staying there and doing things with them, because then I can indulge in all the worst traits of being an uncle - sharing in all the fun and good times, but then having none of the responsibilities of fixing things when they go awry!  I am very grateful for their hospitality, and perhaps the only advantage of living on the other side of the world is that I can't take advantage of it more.  Though it is kind of sad that I can't spend more time in person with my nephew and niece whilst they are at this age - their happiness and joy is infectious.  But what is also striking to me is just how different our style of life is.  We are clearly on very different paths - whereas theirs is busy and complete, mine is relatively slow and carefree.  And, if I'm going to be honest, I'm happy with that.  As much as it might disappoint the prospective grandparents, which I know it does, I am glad I am not a parent - as I don't think I could or would make a good one.  I don't have the patience, I don't want the responsibilities, and at this point in my life I don't think I could have my routine and habits upended in such a dramatic fashion.  Just spending a few days with my niece and nephew can be exhausting!  So although it is quite different, I am somewhat content with my kind of life - which is comforting, even if it is probably too solitary to be healthy.  Which is why I need to appreciate, and show my appreciation to, my family more than I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment