Sunday, August 12, 2018

Bath

It's been 20 years - literally half my entire lifetime (yikes!) - since I graduated from the University of Bath.  And it must have been close to 15 years since I was last in Bath.  So coming back here has been a strange experience.  A lot is familiar - certainly the Georgian architecture that makes Bath such a gorgeous city.  How little I appreciated it when I actually lived here - but then again that was a totally different time of my life having turned 18 and moved away from home for the first time.  I never even saw the actual Roman Baths until after I had graduated!  It's been interesting to see what has changed in the city (there seem to be a lot of new restaurants) and what has not changed (a lot of the same old pubs are still around).  It's been fun to reminisce about things that happened here - good memories, though I seem to had forgotten a lot of them (starting to show my age!)  It's also quite apparent that I can't hold my drink anywhere near like I used to - last night we went out to a few old haunts, and I still managed to succeed in feeling quite hungover this morning even though we didn't drink much at all.  I'm so out of practice with drinking, and I don't miss the drinking culture in this country.  It's kind of sad to see that Bath has turned into a stag/hen weekend destination.  Though some of the activities we engaged in as students were probably a lot worse!  Good times (I think?)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment