Thursday, August 23, 2018

Not Enough Holidays

Been giving a lot of thought about how best to use the remaining company holidays I have this year.  We have Labor Day coming up in early September, Thanksgiving in late November, then the holiday shutdown between Christmas and New Year.  Labor Day weekend – I’m planning to drive down to Oregon and see some sights there.  Already booked a hotel, however wildfires and the smoke from wildfires is a big concern – so I’ve made sure that I booked a hotel room that I can cancel nearer the time (next week!) if I’m concerned by the forecast and visibility.  There is no point going to Crater Lake if I can’t even see the fricking lake due to smoke.  Thanksgiving – I think I’m going to drive up to BC, Canada.  I thought about doing that last year, so unless the weather forecast is truly horrific then that is what I want to do this year.  Then it comes to Christmas – which is a real dilemma.  I think my first choice was Hawaii – but been looking at prices for flights and hotels and they are just too much, and it seems like you need to book the best places (I would love to stay in a beachside cottage) a year in advance.  It is the most expensive, and busiest, time of year to go out there – so I think I’d rather save a trip to Hawaii for a different time of year.  There is the option to go back to the UK again – even though I’ve just been there.  Not ruling that out yet – was checking some flights, and found some not unreasonably priced return flights with Virgin Atlantic (I’m not flying BA again).  Then there is also an option of going somewhere in the US – I would consider places like Arizona, New Mexico, South Carolina, Georgia or Florida.  Maybe an opportunity to go somewhere I haven’t been to before and should be able to get relatively cheap flights, book a car, then plan a road trip.  Decisions, decisions, decisions.  As long as I do something rather than just sit on my ass, especially over the Christmas period, I’ll be okay.   

1 comment: