Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Shopping

Last day before I fly back, so took the opportunity to do some shopping (of the food and clothing variety).  Always try to take some food back with me - there is a lot of stuff I still miss, none of it particularly healthy (think crisps, chocolates, etc.).  So I think I was quite restrained this year with what I'm taking back - though perhaps that might be because I know more stuff is available on Amazon (though horribly overpriced) or perhaps because my niece has also remarked on my size (yikes!).  I'm never been much of a clothes shopper.  I'm not particularly fashionable - some of my clothing choices, particularly during my student years, were highly questionable, and the kind of shops I used to go to (C&A!) are no longer on the British high street.  But I am highly aware, and concerned, that my wardrobe is cheap, dated and seriously lacking.  It definitely needs a serious overhaul.  But my fear is that as I get older my clothing choices become more conservative - I went to Marks and Spencer in Guildford today, and I was easily one of the youngest people in there.  Yet I still bought a couple of items.  In fact, wandering round some of the shops in Guildford this morning there were a lot of clothes I liked and I could easily have spent a fortune if I was feeling so inclined and had more room in my luggage.  Very unusual - I don't normally look round for very long nor find very much to my liking.  I think I prefer the fashion choices in British department stores more than those in American stores, so perhaps next time I'm back I should do a more serious and comprehensive clothes shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment