Monday, August 15, 2016

Team GB

I thought that “Team GB” would suffer a bit of post-London Olympics, post-Brexit, post-Euros failure – but it seems I’ve been proved wrong.  Clearly the facilities (and funding) for the London Olympics has carried forward for at least another 4 years.  I do expect a diminishing return on Olympic medals over time – but the horror show of the 96 Olympics (1 gold medal!) seems like a long time ago now, and I admit to some cheering of British athletes when I happen to catch any live events.  For the most part, I’m following internet updates and catch the occasional live event on Canadian TV and the occasional replayed event on US TV (in the rare instances they’re not showing basketball, volleyball or women’s gymnastics).  But I am following the Olympics a lot more than I thought and hoped I would – I guess I’m just a sucker for good sports.  Or sometimes not even good sports – how anyone could describe dressage as a sport is utterly beyond me, it’s just ridiculous with those horses prancing away like that.  Why not just give a circus lion tamer a gold medal as well?  Stupid.  There’s other sports I just don’t get – like handball.  What the hell is that about and how did that come to be – and considering it’s very popular in Northern Europe, why don’t we play it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment