Friday, August 12, 2016

Perseid Meteor Shower

With clear skies last night over the Seattle area, and with the Perseid meteor shower peaking – I decided to stay up late and do some stargazing.  I thought about taking an hour drive to get over Snoqualmie Pass east of Seattle and away from all the light pollution, but in the end just stayed at home.  I don’t have a full 360 degree view of the sky from my deck, but I can see plenty enough.  So about midnight I climbed into my outdoor reclining chair, stretched out and watched the night sky for a full hour.  And yes, I saw loads of shooting stars!   I think this might be the first time I’ve ever seen or made the effort to see shooting stars, so this felt good.  It’s much like the Northern Lights, unless you are truly in the right place at the right time then it isn’t quite as spectacular as you hoped.  But still awesome, and makes you feel mightily small in the grand scheme of things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment