Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Olympics

I think it is the opening ceremony this Friday, and I have to confess a massive feeling of indifference to this Olympics.  I’m not really sure why – I just know that I’m not going to watch much of it, and I’m certainly not going to be invested in it.  This might be a hangover from the London Olympics, it might even be a hangover from the Euros and/or Brexit with a subsequent diminishing of national pride.  But I suspect it might mostly be because I’m not looking forward to the US TV coverage of the Olympics – it wasn’t good during the London Olympics, and I don’t have high hopes of it being any better this time.  Too much focus exclusively on US athletes, and exclusively on sports that I don’t care much for but the US will undoubtedly win gold in (Olympic basketball is a joke).  I have no idea how the time zone difference is going to work out (I think they’re something like 4 hours ahead of me) and what that means in terms of following events live (I know the opening ceremony is going to be on delay), but I’d much rather watch a condensed highlights package of each day’s happenings – but that doesn’t seem to be a thing that the US does well for any sport. 

No comments:

Post a Comment